Monday, November 12, 2007

***Breaking News***

My dad spent the afternoon at the South Carolina DMV getting his driver's license renewed.

People, remind me, when I am supposed to be long-dead from cancer, to make sure driver's license is valid. Remind me how important it is to spend one of the last days of my life in line at the DMV.

...

Yeah.

So I thought about pointing out the obvious unreason (obvious unreason!) of BOTHERING WITH THIS, when one can't expect to be alive next week, but then... I didn't. My dad did not expect to be alive two weeks ago or even a month ago, and no one knows how much longer he will live, including him, and if it makes him nervous to have an expired license, why shouldn't he get it renewed?

Right?

And then I realized that since he invited us down for Christmas, he had no plans to die before then, either. When I talked to him, he said, "Not only do I feel good, but I am better looking than ever. I am not worried."

So, uh, breaking news. My dad is a licensed South Carolina driver with appropriate insurance coverage and a road-worthy truck. According to him, he has places to go and things to do, and cancer can wait, thank you.

Buckle up. Six weeks until Christmas.

No comments: