Monday, September 29, 2008

Is this even interesting?

I got an email back from my step mother stating that her will and my father's are "boilerplate" wills common to married couples and that the entire estate is left to her to be divided among her "five" children upon her death.

The problem she does not address is that such boilerplate wills are common to people in FIRST marriages - where assets have been jointly gained and all children natural children.

Not really an appropriate way to manage your affairs if you were married to one woman for 35 years, had three children with her - and then a second wife entered the arrangement - a penniless one - and was only married to the man who amassed those assets before he ever met her.

The problem now is to point out to her the iniquity of this. She seems not to have noticed it.

Or I could just stick a boilerplate under my ass and feel the full misery inflicted on my brother, sister and me have been invited to sit upon.

No decision has been made as to what our response to this will be. It ain't gonna be pretty, I can tell you.

6 comments:

P said...

Holy shit. I don't even know what to say. All I'm thinking is, don't let her off to easy. I'd be tempted to tell the three of you to cease and desist on the email front and instead go down there to have a formal sit down with her. Let her tell you to your faces that you won't get a red cent. And let her see your reactions and how this whole situation has gutted you emotionally, physically, and financially.

Unknown said...

my first reaction would be set her on fire!

oh no... naughty voices in my head!!!

Then rationally I'd go with what P has to say sit down tell with all parties and tell her how it is.

Avitable said...

I would just call the lawyer directly. You have a right, as an heir, to find out information from the attorney who drafted it and probably has a copy.

Maggie May said...

I agree with avitable. Go to the attorney, if you know who it is. Find out what you can from him/her, then go have a sit down with your step-mother.

I am so sorry! As if all of this hasn't been enough for you already.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

No one ever wants to discuss this stuff prior to someone dying and that's where a lot of hurt feelings come from. My parents talked about their wills, gave both my brother and I copies of the wills and other directives years before they passed away. I just stuck my folder in a corner, not wanting to think about it, but at least I had it. I wish you had that too.

That, being said, I also agree with Avitable. As his biological daughter, you are entitled to learn the details of his will as set forth by the law firm that drafted it.

If nothing else, perhaps you could ask your step-wicked witch... I mean step mom for a copy (if you think she'd be up and up and truly give you the most current copy). I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this. {{{{Hugs}}}}

sybil law said...

Just promise me, if she's being a bitch, to call her a bitch, okay?
I want to slap her for you.
Call the lawyer.
I really hope things work out.
xo