Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sin of the Week, 10/28/07

CS Lewis once said friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You too? I thought I was the only one." Rock Pod, meet UES Pod.

Lola decided it was time for the Pods to meet. She was correct. (She always is).

She threw a pumpkin carving party and promised cupcakes and pumpkin beer - no boys, just girls with lots of alcohol, unlimited quantities of cupcake frosting, and cutting implements that most sane people would not truck with sober.

You know we set ourselves up for a trainwreck there, don't you? The bender that resulted from the meeting of the pods will go down in the annals of Nina Pod history as the bender that Nina emerged from grateful for her life and the lives of her friends.

Sri and Bibi arrived. Each brought a bottle of wine. Merry arrived with another bottle. I arrived with two. Lola already had two bottles of wine and enough cupcakes and crazy-good curried what-not to end world hunger.

We cracked into the booze and the cupcakes and the curry and the next thing you know, we were breaking the neighborhood noise ordinances for giggling and shrieking with pumpkiny pleasure. Ever been at a party where people are literally diving over each other to say "oh, oh I know! Where have you BEEN all my life!" ? Yeah. Separated at birth.

I have no idea how Bibi and Sri made it to work the next day, nor do I know how Merry, the soberest of us all, tolerated such unabashed debauchery. But I do know that I finished the night with a few belts of Couvoisier and a chaser of Smartwater. God, I love that stuff*

Lola and I awakened at 7 am (roughly 4 hours after we'd passed out) and - get this - both of us were barely aware that we were supposed to make a doctor's appointment that day - and neither of us could remember what time.

To clarify, Lola's appointment was a pretty standard "hi please make sure I am not dying" errand. Mine was a "hi I AM DYING and I'd rather not" last ditch effort at salvation.

Yes, America, (ie, the ten people who read my blog), I made an appointment with the headologist. My GP insisted and I complied. Let's talk about it later, okay?

'preciate it.

* Yes, in this case, "stuff" is a pronoun and the referent is ambiguous. Let it stand. Both interpretations apply.

No comments: