Tuesday, January 22, 2008

9th avenue at 2:50pm

I ran an errand this afternoon over at Panic Hire University. On my way back, I walked down 9th Avenue, and as I was crossing 23rd street, four emergency vehicles blared by. I watched them as they turned left into Soho. I remember thinking it had to be something bad because they were practically nudging people and cars out of the way with their bumbers.

I was right.

The ambulance and two fire-trucks I watched go by were undoubtedly en-route to try to revive Heath Ledger, who died today of a drug overdose at 28 years old. He was pronounced dead at 3:45pm.

So not that it needs saying because y'all are smart and you know these things already, but dammit, it's take care of yourselves and take care of your people. If money and attention solved anything, the rich and powerful wouldn't die.

The end.

7 comments:

Eddie said...

That self-centered fuck. A two year old little girl won't remember her daddy.

utenzi said...

It is odd when the successful can't seem to find a reason to live. If nothing else, you'd think they could find some "diversions" to keep themselves alive. I didn't realize he was still in his 20s...

Amy said...

It's very, very sad. And, you make an excellent point.

BTW, I am here via Avitable - Happy Birthday!

nicole antoinette said...

I was stunned by this news today. What is going ON with the world/celebrities/everything?!

But also? I love that you have an "It's Dark in Here" tag. So... poignant and lovely, yet disturbing at the same time.

Em said...

I was saddened by the news. He was my favorite brokeback cowboy.

P said...

Poor sod. And poor ex-gf and little baby left behind. I feel sorry about the whole thing, and was boiling with anger when some asshole wrote "this is what happens to liberals who lead a liberal lifestyle" as a comment on a news article. How asinine. How utterly depressing.

mohadoha said...

As the Irish say - good people are scarce, so look after yourself!


And I wish more people had writing or a friend, or something to share their moments of darkness, so they don't get consumed.